The Cure for Cancer?

April 28, 2005 by

Hypnotically Enhanced
Famous Magician Makes the Truth Disapear!
OK, Here’s the deal. Penn Jillette says I can cure cancer. It sure didn’t come from me, and when I was filmed for their show last year they didn’t even interview me about health issues. To take it a sleazy step further, he claims that I tell people to STOP seeing their doctor when they have cancer and I take all their money as they lay on their death bed.
Quite a claim to make on my behalf. Especially for someone who is winning Emmys for a show that is supposed to expose the truth. If you make stuff up, that does NOT make it true, but people do believe what they see on TV.

After we filmed the pieces for the show, which included segments with an MD and a Dentist showing the amazing effects of hypnosis on pain and on dental phobias, the producer called me.

She said, “can you send us your cd that cures cancer?” And I said, “NO! I dont have a CD that cures cancer, and I do NOT claim to cure or treat cancer. I have a CD that helps with healing the emotional aspects of illness, helps with pain and makes a person feel more positive.”

Next, I immediately had my attorney prepare this letter which was sent to Ms. Hensen-

Dear Ms. Hensen,
Here are the CDs you requested.
I assume you are interested in having these CDs as samples to use on the air, or to comment on regarding effectiveness and methods that may or may not work.
I request the following guidelines are followed when preparing commentary for these CDs.
Audio clips must be used in context, and approved by me if they are being aired. No claims to effectiveness are made by Wendi Friesen CHT,, or by wendi.com.
Any commentary on effectiveness needs to be accompanied by stating that Wendi Friesen is not claiming the products are a medical cure, but there are clients who claim they have experienced positive results.
Of course, guidelines should be followed to reflect my professionalism and include the understanding that wendi.com products are not an alternative to medical treatment; rather the products provide a complimentary approach to helping people who have illness, pain, or disorders. Wendi.com and Wendi Friesen are not treating, or claiming to treat illness, or diagnosing, offering, or suggesting an alternative to medical procedures. Ms. Friesen works diligently with medical practitioners and counselors to assist their patients in creating a positive mental outlook and setting in motion a beneficial state in their mind and body that will promote healing.
People who have cancer and other illnesses are aware of the benefit that their attitude can have on healing. Use of wendi.com products on your show should reflect the use of hypnosis as a complimentary therapy, not as a cure or treatment for any disease or illness.
Thank you for your understanding about this matter.
Wendi Friesen CHT

Now you can see that it might bother me just a teeny weeny bit that they chose to make the claim that I can cure cancer. Also, for them to claim that I am asking people to STOP seeing their doctor and letting them die while I take their money… well this couldn’t be further from the truth. And all of this from a show who’s entire premise is to expose the TRUTH.
Now, of course this all came as a shock when I saw the show. Especially when they chose to delete the entire medical hypnosis segments that showed how effective hypnosis was to relieve a severe dental phobia and to eliminate pain when needles were put through the hands of my subjects. Hey, that was good stuff! But not nearly as good as the lies they told. A friend of Penn’s called me and told me he did it because he hates hypnosis.

I got a few letters about that show. Several hundred actually. Many included death threats, and some had graphic descriptions of how I should die. It was a difficult month for me. It was hard to get out of bed. Especially in light of the fact that their show is now being promoted as such a great piece of work.

Wining Emmys for lies? Penn, you have become the very thing that you want to expose. It is you who should be ashamed of yourself.

Where is the real scam? It is the show itself. I have not made a big deal of it, but since I see that this blatant promotion by Time, People Magazine, the Today Show and TV guide promoting this as a great show to watch… well, I simply have to speak up. I did a great piece of work for their show. They also insisted that I do a rebirthing segment and even though I told them I don’t do that, they insisted. I agreed, and ONLY if they included my statement that this is ONLY a metaphor, the memories expressed while re-experiencing your birth are nothing more. Then, through clever editing, they took clips of other statements, put them in the rebirth segment so that I was saying that these memories are true.

People tell me that I shouldn’t be surprised that Penn Jillette did this. This is just TV, they say.
Is it really ok to excuse people for having such a deep commitment to creating lies and attempting to ruin a person and a company?
I have a wonderful staff of 14 people who love their jobs, love what we do and enjoy being a part of a company with integrity and purpose. We wake up every day knowing we are making a difference.

Comments

17 Responses to “The Cure for Cancer?”
  1. Hi Devon

There is a lot a research that backs up this type of work. Much of it is in books, such as Biology of Belief, Evolve Your Brain, The Psychobiology of Mind-Body Healing and much more. The research for hypnosis is extensive. Just because you have not yet read or studied it, does not mean it doesn’t exist.

For instance, on my website I have studies from UCLA, Stanford, and others that are for breast enlargement with hypnosis. These are valid studies done by researchers.

Just because you claim that these things can’t be done, doesnt mean they can’t.

Stroke- There is evidence that dormant nerve pathways can be activated. I site research for this in my newsletters. Stroke patients have restored the feeling and movement in limbs during hypnosis sessions and immediately after. What should I do, ignore these miraculous events? Tremors in parkinsons patients go away with hypnosis.

Allergies- Yes, hypnosis can end the mistake that the brain makes in creating a response to the allergen. It happens all the time. How do you explain the immediate and permanent change in allergies that 1000s of people have experienced? Did you read research about hypnosis for allergies that proves that it does not work?

The immune system is affected by the thoughts, belief, and environment of a person and the effect of hypnosis on the immune system is measurable. Tons of research for this, go read it! I have spent 14 years full time doing research and working with people in private sessions and in groups around the world. I attend seminars and work with doctors, psychologists and psychiatrists and researchers.

I would suggest you start with the three books I mentioned above. Also begin to read medical research that validates the use of hypnosis for numerous medical conditions (such as IBS) that provides a very high cure rate.

2. Devon says:

Ok Wendi I emailed you and the link you sent brought me to this site, I read the letter saying that Penn & Teller edited out some parts but that’s to be expected with any show on tv, can’t have time for every segment you know.
    Oh and the whole cancer thing is still ridiculous, I’ve been to your site and read a lot about the services you provide and while a lot of them are pretty trivial and probably could be helped with a little will power boosting, there are still a lot more that deeply disturb me. You say you can help men and women with their penis and breast size but you and I both know that there is no scientific proof of it working even the slightest bit. All you’re doing is playing on these poor people’s insecurities, I mean these are the same people who probably tried those herbal pills, exercises, and creams that promised the same thing but never delivered so you figured you could con the same people because hey, they fell for that other crap why not my hypnosis too. All this goes for the weight loss and hair growth too.
    Now one thing did catch my attention and that was your hypnosis for people who’ve had strokes. Now that is complete and utter heartlessness right there. I read it on your site and you specifically say that you can help reconnect the neural pathways that were lost with the stroke and help the brain use new areas of gray matter to replace the old damaged areas. So what do you have to say about this Wendi? Either you come up with some scientific data proving this or you need to take that off your site and stop taking suffering people’s money for that useless product.
    Let’s see what else… ah yes you say you can help ease allergies, yeah that’s not gonna happen. Allergies are caused by a hyperactive immune system and is in no way connected with any responses from the brain. If you’re allergic to cats there is no amount of hypnosis that will keep you from sneezing when a cat comes in the room. If you want to scientifically prove this why don’t you take someone who is allergic to something like a bee sting, let them be stung and show them turning red and puffy so we know their for real then of course they’ll have to have a steroid administered so they won’t die right then and there, then hypnotize the allergies away and let them be stung again and if it’s for real, then they won’t die now will they.
    As for the cancer thing, on your site your implying a lot of miracles but never coming right out and saying you can cure them so that’s obviously supposed to make them think you can do it because hey, why would she imply that she could if she couldn’t? A lot of companies do this to avoid legal action being taken against them when they can’t deliver on their promises, which is 100% of the time. So that covers some of my grievances with you and your company but I don’t want to take up the whole comment board, I’m sure you’ll want to refute what I’ve said.
    So remember everyone, think about this stuff for yourselves and do your own research, and if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Take care Wendi.

Devon

3. Jay says:

Wow, that anonymous person really likes to argue and pick faults with every one, even Wendi, maybe its Penn too scared to even label who he is when he leaves a message! HEHE.

Anyway, im a hypnotist myself, and i do know the beneficial results of hypnotherapy. We do it, as we know it works, do people think we do it and we live everyday in fear of being found out that we are fakes? Nooo no way! We have proven results and it is beneficial in many aspects of life.

Ok so im also a magician, i only do hypnosis for therapeutic reasons, i never have and never will do stage hypnosis as thats not my bag,however, as a magician iv always respected Penn and Teller who are magicians, not reporters. I do have to say that my respect for them as performers have rapidly been reduced! Ok so they are excellent at what they do, we as hypnosis professionals are excelent at what we do too, and we could if we wanted, poke holes in the performance of them both as magicians, however, we are not reporters, and nor are Penn and Teller – (please folks, just because Teller did not talk, don’t forget he is half responsible too,) I dont know if they were just repeating lines for the money, or if they do actually believe it themselves, however my respect for them knocking someone else’s profession, which only exists to help people, is not acceptable.

My heart sinks as i have Penn and Teller at the top section of my favorite magicians, however they are now at the bottom of my list after this show.
    They have done damage to themselves as well as to Wendi so maybe they will have better researchers and editors next time that will have better ethics.

4. Anonymous says:

Hello Wendi.

The following is directed at other posters, and will not be favourable, so I expect this comment will receive swift deletion.

To pandabonium – You state that you have stopped watching television. Nothing in your comment even implies that you watched the episode in question. You think the people who watch the show do not have access to Wendi’s ‘truth’. Really? People with TV’s don’t have access to the internet and Wendi’s website? After a predictable, cliché-ridden ‘corporations’ rant, you quote some obscure History professor who actually took Freud seriously. You even date Mr Lasch’s book, at least letting us all know that you are of the opinion that “old = right”. We’ve said farewell to the scientific method then?

To Tom Donaldson – I will assume that it’s only coincedence that a google search on your name brings up a bucket load of hypnosis links. Actually, no, I won’t.

To Merlin. quote -”I haven’t seen the show & I couldn’t be bothered to look for it. Closed minded idiots will always be with us.”
    I am rendered speechless by the amount of irony here.

To Marni – If you are going to choose to redefine words as you see fit, at least be consistent, and please drop the supreme arrogance it takes to assume that everyone else is going to go along with such redefinitions. Once you do that, you are no longer speaking English. You are speaking “self-indulgent bullshit”, ok?

To jihchop – A 40-something year-old gamer who, A: has purchased “some” of Wendi’s products, so must concede he’s a bit messed up in the first place, and B: wants to make another man… smaller. Of course you saw compassion in Wendi mate; you were hearing exactly what you wanted to hear.

To mr. fantastic – Well at least one voice of rationality hasn’t been deleted. (apologies if my own comment leads to both of our comments being deleted. I hear that hypnotists can also be fascists when it comes to comments.)

To.. Ah! Wendi! “There is a lot of evidence for breast enlargement, you can see the controlled studies from UCLA and other universities here” [link provided]
    Can you please cite at least 3 more studies done after 1979? Note that one cherry-picked study is not considered of any value by anyone with any respect for the scientific method. Multiple, verifiable studies, please.

You also said “…the use of the word cancer on a CD certainly doesnt cause harm or even imply a cure.” For now, I’ll ignore the slimy lawyer-speak ‘doesn’t imply a cure’, but you would be lying if you said that no cancer victim had not grasped upon those words, and then parted with their cash to buy your product in the hope of curing their affliction. Of course, you will counter with a statement to the effect that you never forced them, or somesuch. But you still took their money, right? Which may well have been better spent on, say, palliative care, more/better medicines, or more actual cancer research. How do you sleep at night? Or does your power delusion really run that deep?

5. Anonymous says:

The deleted comments are suspicious, but perhaps they were removed for vulgarity and not for having an opposing view.

I saw and enjoyed P&T: BS’s show on hypnosis and, or the most part, i do not believe it can alter your body. I DO believe it can help/harm your mind and cause you to precive things to change (ie. ‘hey my penis is bigger’ when it is not) but what is relaity but perception? If he thinks its bigger, the problem for him is over (if not for the partner).

But if you say “If you have cells in your body that are harmfull or cancerous, sweep them out of your body” ya have to expect someones going to say your trying to cure cancer. If not that, what? Tricking a person into believing they are treating their cancer?

Anyways, on another show they (P&T) ‘kind’ of explain themselves in saying somthing along the lines of ‘of course we’re biased, but we tell you up front we are’ which is a half truth. But come on the name of the show is Bullshit. Did you really think they’d be ‘on your side’ of the issue? They just like to make fun of people, but the cancer thing, even their comments aside, was pretty damning.

As i have stated i belive hypnosis can do good. Just not in altering the body. If someone is ‘playing along’ with hypnosis and overcomes a personal challenge or stops smoking or leaves an abusive partner, good. It can be as helthy as therapy. Just not as cures for the body and you need to make that PERFECTLY clear if you want the accusations to stop. If you overcome tthe pain of arthritice your not cureing it your ignoreing it.

6. Englander says:

Having just watched Penn & Teller is obcious Wendi is an old fashioned con artist.

7. HypnoBob says:

I had been answering, or commenting on these notes, from top to bottom. Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the commedian, Penn. What could you expect? Jay Lenno does the same schtick every night. They’re clowns, what else do you see? Cruel, mis-statements, exagerations and bigotry.
    How do you think George Bush (either the senior or junior) feel, when the network news gets done every night. Clinton got a pass, but Nixon got the gate. Another sad statement about how things are. Better yet, if you want to see innocence and virtue rewarded by the judge of popular opinion, … … look at what happened to Jesus. (not trying to make any comparison or parallel here, just illustrating the similarity)
    You can’t allow the critics to be in control of your attitude. No matter how much they try. You knew it would happen. You expected it to happen. (you knew they would creatively edit and twist the truth to their bend) and DUH!? You watched it happen. “Just like you could see the future?” No, just like you could predict the outcome. If you follow a cow around the pasture, with a bucket under her tail, sooner or later there is going to be an event. Do you doubt the outcome? see above; “DUH!?” Is the event predictable? Would you be a fortune teller, if you said they’d screw it up? Psychic – Schmeicic. It was a “hit” (as in shoot at, discredit, bunk, cast doubt, prejudicial evidence) piece. The AMA would have it no other way. again, see above “DUH!?”

8. Wendi Friesen says:

Thanks for the nice thoughts. Yea, well it sucks to have to go through this. What was I thinking? I will tell you!

I knew, that beyond a shadow of a doubt, I could prove that hypnosis works and they would not be able to dispute it. I felt that very few hypnotists could do this with confidence, and if I didnt do it they would attack someone else.

So- I did a segment in the dentists office with the Digital Blood Pressure cuff and digital heart rate monitor. Used a guy with a serious dental phobia. In 15 minutes I had the sound of the drill make his heart rate and BP drop dramatically. The digital readout showed on camera. Then we had an MD put needles through peoples hands who had only hypnosis for anethesia. It was flawless and impressive. The MD gave a commentary that was amazing.
    Funny, they didnt show any of that.

9. Paula says:

Hello Wendi,

That is too bad you had to have this experience. Here I am, thinking you have a wonderful life and are in control but I guess sometimes people are jerks. Anyways, did you have a bad feeling about doing this project? I know for me sometimes I ignore my instincts and I wish I didn’t.
    Anyways, I love you and am a fan of your work. Maybe I will meet you someday. I told your staff you should be on Oprah. Maybe promote the alcohol freedom cd.
    Paula

10. Wendi Friesen says:

There is a lot of evidence for breast enlargement, you can see the controlled studies from UCLA and other universities here.
    Cancer imagery is well studied and researched and the use of the word cancer on a CD certainly doesnt cause harm or even imply a cure. Hospitals offer imagery of sweeping cancerous cells from your body. Standard stuff. Well researched. The immune system is affect by our stress, anger, and emotions. The immune system creates killer t-cells that are soley responsible for removing cancer cells from the body. It is no mystery that this is how the immune system functions. Positive states of mind and a healthy outlook has been proven to help with survival rates.
    THe link for breast enlargement research is here.
    Please read it, you may find that it opens your mind!

Penis enlargement is a matter of blood flow adn tissue growth. The same principal that applies to breasts applies to penis’s. Many hypnotists have had positive results in this area as well. And for most men, (at least with my program) they feel more confident in bed since the CDs also have sessions to help you feel more connected, more giving, and more deserving as a lover. And that cant be a bad thing.

11. mr. fantastic says:

I’ve seen the piece and I have to say that it’s easy to focus on one piece of the show that we believe has been manipulated and not focus on some of the things that they exposed as truths in this business. Hypnosis is far from doing many things that people claim it can do (e.g. penis enlargement). If the idea of penis enlargement is something that can be done it is going to take more than a letter from satisfied clients to say that it actually works. Don’t you think if a person has that kind of issue it may be better to see a psychotherapist? We know that hypnosis in no way, shape, or form can enlarge breasts or penises.

As far as Penn stating that Wendi thinks she can cure cancer, they may be getting that from listening to the cd. The small portion they played on the show has Wendi saying “If you have cells in your body that are harmfull or cancerous, sweep them out of your body.” I’m not sure where this directive ends but it does seem like the subject has control over their cells which, by now I hope, we all know is BULLS*%T.

When someone is working with the mind and their ideas are based on the words “I suspect…”(Wendi’s words) it doesn’t lend credance to the fact that you are basing your ideas on anymore than a guess or an opinion. Wwhen we work with opinions all we are left with is post hoc ergo propter hoc.

12. jihchop says:

HI Wendi!
    I’ve purchased some of your products and LOVE them. We talked online a few times before I made the purchase, I found you to be funny, intelligent, and compassionate. Which is actually a bit of a problem (the compassionate part) because I just had a GREAT idea.
    Penn is the fat one right? I can’t remember. Well anyway, Make up a “special” version of your penis enlargement set – special in that it actually SHINKS it, put the Zen of Thin label on it and send it to him advising he just, “try it for a few months, and honestly report any results.”
    Well, ok I guess you probably won’t do that. A shame really. But as for me, I know better than to believe that bloated warthog and won’t be watching his stuff anymore (which is too bad – I USED to think he was funny).
    I will continue to use and purchase your products, and spread your name around to all who have need.
    Michael Jacob

13. Marni says:

Hey Wendi,
    Once people catch on to the real truth of the Penn show, the producers will have to leave the country to get gullible folks to be interviewed for it.

I hope your “True Lies” CD finds it’s way into their hot little paws, before too many more people need to ‘class action’ their pants off in the traditional American way.

From your friendly ‘gullible’ Canadian with thankfully no access to their current show.

(my definition of gullible = belief in the goodness of people)
    Isn’t that a good thing there are still some of us left in the world.

14. Merlin says:

I haven’t seen the show & I couldn’t be bothered to look for it. Closed minded idiots will always be with us. Your doing some sparkling work and helping so many people. Just get on with the business at hand and if needed your lawyer can look after the rest. We all know the truth, and TV is a long,long way from that. I don’t have a lot of your cd’s since its more of a lack of abundance for me, but what I have works for me everyday. You have the right stuff.

Merlin

15. Tom Donaldson says:

Hey Wendi,

I’ve seen enough of that show to decide it’s way too biased against other possibilities and explanations. The agenda of the host is to advance his belief set (and ratings) and the truth be damned.

You might think that the fears and misconceptions about hypnosis would have been laid to rest by now. Shows like this are the reason more people don’t experience the usefulness of hypnosis.

You keep doing your work, keep running a company with integrity, and the truth will prevail.

16. Pandabonium says:

Dear Wendi,

This incident demonstrates why I stopped watching television several years ago. In fact, I had to look up who Penn Jillette is. Truth is not to be found in media land. Worse than just lies, half-truths or even 90%-truths are usually presented which make the lies harder to detect. In your case, they went all out, probably because their audience will not have access to your truth.

Television is controlled by a few mega-corporations, which also fund the politicians, who in turn pass legislation favorable to the news media, advertisers, and their parent companies who are often also government contractors.

The very business of television and radio today is to influence audiences through entertainment and lies in order to make money and promote their agendas and those of their big sponsors. It is the perfect venue for a magician posing as a journalist. TV itself is world of illusion in which even the people who are part of it suspend disbelief and man or woman at the top “…confuses successful completion of the task at hand with the impression he (or she) makes or hopes to make on others…” – Christopher Lasch, in The Culture of Narcissism – American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations, published in 1979.

I am sorry to hear that you and your business have been made a victim of this vicious system. Your work has been helping me a great deal, and I have been telling others who could also benefit from it. I know you will learn from this experience and that the work you have done helping people will guarantee the continued growth and success of your business.

As Soupy Sales says, “keep you chin up, it’ll keep the milk from dripping on your clothes.”

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] this might also bring up the subject of can I cure cancer, as someone mentioned. My explanation of hypnosis for cancer is right here on this blog. Open your eyes and don’t always believe everything you hear or [...]