Your friends are making you obese

August 1, 2009 by

Have you heard?

The people you hang out with might be making you fat.

(FREE Pedometer Offer at bottom of this page!)

Shocking, but true. This study (and why do they have to spend money to find this out) shows that teenagers who hang out together will get fatter together. If you are a human being and you also breathe air, this should not be a revelation. We become what we think about, do, and act upon. If you surround yourself with people who like to eat and sit around and live a sedentary life, you will NOT become a long distance runner. If you surround yourself with people who love to mountain bike, or hike, or kayak for their recreation, chances are very good that you will be in good physical shape. And cleverly enough, the person in charge of this obesity study is named Fry. Coincidence? Here is the explanation from the article on how friends let friends get fat. Tam Fry, of the UK’s National Obesity Forum, said mounting evidence suggested the link was causative. “Other work has shown that you take on the weight attributes of your friends more than other people surrounding you, like neighbours, even if your friends live many miles away.” He said it boiled down to shared bad habits, like eating the wrong foods and not getting enough exercise. It can be hard to lose weight, and easy to gain it. And we are obviously influence by the people we surround ourselves with, and if that is not enough we have to battle our food issues that were deeply ingrained in our childhood. I remember a news show about a young boy, about 8 years old, who was 50 lbs overweight. The mother insisted that she had tried everything and was not overfeeding him. When they took the boy away from mom and sent him to live with Dad he lost all the excess weight and said “It’s fun to go out and play soccer and run. I like broccoli and salads” and things to that effect. Our environment obviously affects our choices that result in how heavy we are. And your friends are your environment. Let’s have a reality check. What’s in your kitchen? (or tucked under the sofa cushion) Do you have lots of sweet yummy snacks, microwavable fatty foods, sugary drinks, multiple flavors of ice cream? OR Do you have to prepare food when you are hungry, chop vegetables, make food out of actual ingredients? What do you do first thing in the morning? Go directly to the fridge to gobble down some food? OR Wait a little while, take a walk, stretch, do some writing? When planning an outing with friends what is the agenda? Do you plan the day or evening based on food or dessert (have you tried that new cupcake store that just opened?) and virtually nothing else? (Let’s go to the Chocolate/Slug/Shortcake/Fried festival today!) Or Do you plan to go to an art show, beach walk, game night, bike ride… that also happens to include a meal along the way? Which friends are you choosing to spend the most time with? Obviously, we didn’t need a study to figure out that fat teenagers hang out with other fat teens, or that kids with bad eating habits become obese adults. What do you want to change today? What small thing will you do to make your life a little more active and a little less ice-creamy? Stick a comment down there, inspire us! Loving the change you are about to make today! Wendi And when you are ready for a massive change in 7 days, and want to lose 5-12 pounds in a week (yes, read the testimonials, shocking and true) just find out what power there is in making one small change a day. One change a day, that’s all I ask. Will you take the challenge? We’ll see! www.Wendi.com/thinkthin <—- CLick It. CoMe On, yOu CaN dO iT! Hey, I can help your overweight kids too. This program is claimed to cause miraculous changes in kids eating habits and make them stop playing video games. Seriously. Hypnotic Stories for kids to lose weight

Get Your kids a free Pedomoter and challenge them to Jump, Dance, Twirl, Play Tag, Hop and do everything to rack up 10,000 points a day!

How about instead of video games, you play 500 Tag! See if you can find each other in less than 500 steps. Or have a hopping treasure hunt- Hide something and track how many hops on the pedometer to find the treasure!
My Gift to You, Get Moving, hopping and twirling! Free Pedometer with order.

My Gift to You, Get Moving, hopping and twirling! Free Pedometer with order.

Order any of my Kids CDs here, and use coupon code FREEPED and I will put a nice Digital Pedometer in your box completely free. GOT 2 kids? 3? More? In the comments put the quantity of up to 3 free pedometers as my gift to you! Click here, order. Use Coupon FREEPED Ask for 1, 2, or 3 in the comments.

Comments

9 Responses to “Your friends are making you obese”
  1. Ami J Sullivan says:

Hi Wendi,

I just wanted to thank you for the New Extreme Health CD Set….I just love it, and have had great results with it…..I keep it on my ipod….and use it all the time….thanks ever so for all you do…keep up the good work, and we miss you daily…..even though I have to work and missed most of them….I did catch them every tuesday you were on….Ciao and brightest blessings…Moon aka Ami in GA

2. Wendy,
    Love you – Love your work!
    Keep doing what you are doing. You make the world a better place.
    What more can I say?
    Mary Ellen

3. julie says:

p.s. great for your skin too!

4. julie says:

Start the day with a huge glass of water , sqeeze the juice of half a lemon (fresh ) into it. Great zapper start to the day!!! cleansing,filling, and helps fight the sweet tooth ( or teeth:-)

5. Rosemary Turcotte says:

I was raised by an Italian mother, who wasn’t very affectionate. But, she would feed you with love anytime you wanted. When I was in fourth grade, she sent two sandwiches in my school lunch. I married young, 19. My dad drank. So, I was glad to have found a way out. My ex was an obsessive eater, and eventually, an obsessive spender and drug abuser. By the time I was 35, I weighed 276 lbs. I am 5′ 3″. I had 4 sons, ages 8, 6, and 3 yr. old twins. My husband was a drug addict and I wondered what would happen to my children if I were to drop dead. I saw a commercial for hypnotherapy for weight loss, smoking, etc. I told my dad about it and he said if I wanted to go, he would pay for it. In two years, I had lost 130 lbs. I got a divorce soon after that. I felt strong and in control. I stopped going to hypnosis because it got very expensive and I didn’t want to burden my parents with a bigger cost when I had lost my weight. I will admit that over the last 11 years, I have put about 50 pounds of my weight back on. My sons are 23, 21, and the twins are 17. But, I live a better life, and in the last six months, I have gotten back to basics and have lost 20 lbs. I feel very good about that. I realized, after all this time, that I am the one who lost the weight. So, it is in me somewhere to do it again. I just have to be diligent and not give in to bad habits. I feel that I am doing great. Success breeds motivation. But, I do miss my weekly hypnosis sessions. They literally saved my life.

6. bill says:

Hi Wendy!

Where have you been?

You have been so quiet lately!

Are you shy?

Cmon! Lets hear more from you!

7. Shelly Upson says:

Hi Wendi,

Well said! I would like to add a little something for your readers to consider. A few years ago I gained a lot of weight very quickly. I was over 300 pounds. Today I weigh 184 at six feet tall. I lost over 100 pounds. There was no magic pill nor cream that was the reason for my success. I cut down calories and increased activity. This is the best way to lose weight and keep it off. The diet industry is a multi-billion dollar business that sells false hopes to consumers. If the diet pills worked like they promised they would lose their victims/customers. Changing diet and activity level will help you be successful at weight loss and save you tons of money too. Wendi’s products can help you make the needed changes to lose the weight and keep it off for good. I did it and so can you!! Good Luck!
    sea_shelly

8. ECS Dave says:

Hi Wendi!

Long time, no see on Twitter… I think it’s me though… I’ve been a little busy.

You’ve a very interesting post here about friends getting bigger together. It is truly something, obesity that is, that needs to be addressed, and soon! To correlate a little something, just from my observations, when more people were smoking, we had more lung diseases as people got older. What’s the future hold, if we don’t do something about the “fat epidemic”?

A good friend of mine has put together an ebook called “The Skinny on Fat”, would you like a “review” copy? You have my email, let me know, won’t you?

Be Well!
    ECS Dave

• wendi says:

Yes, Dave I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to read and review your book.
      I will highly support the efforts to enlighten people. Especially the kids. We are raising quite a generation of obese and addicted people.

Love it!